2008/07/20

first steps in translation

Translating written texts teaches me a lot of patience. I'm able to conquer my own aversion to returning for the second or third time to a text I wrote or translated by myself – something rather impossible not long ago; I used to leave things the way they were, even if it meant omitting some major mistakes. After all, it's most arduous and uninteresting; one has use their strong will to increase attention in order to analyze sentences afresh, is if they weren't in the temporary memory.
Also, what attracts me to translating is the so called butterfly effect. The selection of a single word, the decision made between two synonyms, can influence the undertone of the whole sentence and decide, how the reader will perceive the further sequences of the text.
And like in many other areas that interest me, I can see, how arduous the process of learning the good translation is. I feel that simple, predictable in their style and structure pieces are somehow awkward when translated by me. They remain the translation of a text and not the rightful Polish the should have become. I get tired quite quickly, but not discouraged. In every new text I could occupy myself with I see a tidbit, I find words interesting, I want to have a closer look, find them their Polish equivalents as if it could save them.
I feel it's of a great advantage to me that I translate articles whose subject matter lies within my interests. And it's not only because I don't get bored in the third hour, but the text simply seems more worth the trouble. Which is a bit selfish as it boils down to identifying the reader with myself, and everyone obviously wants the best for themselves.
I also think one has to be extremely courageous (or unaware of their actions) to translate Literature. And still be able to sleep at night.

No comments: